Sunday, July 8, 2012

Swimming forever, even in the darkness of the ink

I had a ride on the bicycle also today, 1 1/2 hours, looking at the scenery by river Vantaanjoki, going several times across the border of Helsinki and Vantaa. I was rather humid and warm, but not too warm for riding the bicycle.

Later I went for a walk with the daughters to the rapids at river Vantaanjoki, just before it started to rain. We walked by the river downstream, went across the bridge, and came back upstream. On the way we saw many fisherman, and a bird cherry tree which had a streak of bad things happening: first breaking down and then bird cherry moths attacking it.

Later today the old printer (Canon i455) we have at home broke, and for the final time. It has been giving the error message 53 ("no print head") several times during the last few months, but the usual trick of removing and resetting the print head didn't work this time. Well, it was a cheap printer, and the cost of ink cartridges has been much more than the price of the printer.

I had a look at the available cheap inkjet printers, and finally I decided to buy an HP Photosmart 6510 multifunction printer. It seems to have some drawbacks, but at least it has wireless printing, duplex paper handling and four ink cartridges. And my daughter wanted to get a scanner for her drawings, so now we have that also.

At 99 euro the HP 6510 is relatively cheap, so I'm not expecting much, but I hope it will last as long as the Canon i455 has lasted which is more than I originally expected from it.

Occasionally I have thought about buying a better printer for photographs, but when I need prints of my photographs I have used the print services available on the net, usually with reasonably good results. Maybe when I retire I'll try out printing myself, that seems to require a rather deep set of skills.

(Posting title is from the poem Print by Billy Collins.)

2 comments:

Cedric Canard said...

I find printing photos at home a most frustrating endeavour. For me photos never look the same on paper as they do on a screen so it takes lots of tweaking and test prints to get it right. With the price of ink and paper it's hardly economical. Having said that I plan to try again now that I have Lightroom 4. I want to see if the print module helps in any way.

Juha Haataja said...

@Cedric: It would be indeed good to have some tools to help in the printing workflow.

This discussion reminded me of SoFoBoMo (Solo Photo Book Month), which no longer exists, and thus I haven't thought about making a photo book this year. But perhaps that would be a nice project for the summer, to make a photo book once again. At least Blurb has proved to be rather predictable in quality, no big disappointments so far.