Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Of eyes and smiles, of eyes and affection

Here are three photographs taken on September 19th. Not much difference between them, but still, somehow each has a different feeling in it.

I browsed the book Here far away - photographs from the years 1964-2011 by Pentti Sammallahti, once again catching a glimpse of something wordless, timeless, uniquely human. Earlier I borrowed the book from the local library, but now that I own it I look forward to returning to this book again and again. For me there is only one another photographer that means so much: Sam Abell.

Also, I got today a book of photographs by Antero Takala, depicting scenes taken during the polar night when sun is below horizon all day: Kaamos - Hämärän maisemat - Landscapes of Darkness. I was impressed. But this is a book which needs time to digest, not an easy one.

(Posting title is from the poem Vincent, Homesick for the Land of Pictures by Peter Gizzi.)

2 comments:

Markus said...

Fine triptych - that combination of pale yellow and subdued reds works exceptionally well for me.

Juha Haataja said...

Colors of the flag of Spain ... although there the red is definitely not subdued.

Today I saw some reddish aspen leaves fallen to the ground, quite a rare color in them, but I didn't have a camera with me and only later realized I could have picked a leaf with me to take a photograph at home.