Saturday, June 14, 2014

He’s got no place to go but down

I was planning a long walk for today, but the plan changed somewhat. I walked for 4 1/2 hours, which was less than planned, but during that time I managed to explore Kytäjä-Usmi forests and swamps rather thoroughly. In all I walked over 20 kilometers, visiting the following lakes: Pikku-Piilo, Piilolampi, Kaksoslammit, Iso-Kypärä, Kiiskilampi, Mäkiperänlampi and Pitkännokanlampi.

My feet are a bit sore because of the long walk, but otherwise it feels good. However, I got some mosquito bites, even though the wind (10 m/s) and coldness (+10 °C) eliminated the worst attacks, and the bites are itching.

I didn't see any Gavia stellata. It so happened that even though I had binoculars with me in the backpack, I didn't remember that I had them. Instead of birds I enjoyed the landscape at large, and took a lot of photographs. It was quiet, no road noise and very few aircraft flying over. And I didn't meet anyone else walking in the forests, even though there were four cars at the parking place when I returned.

These photographs were taken in Meiko on May 31st.

(Posting title is from the poem For the Man with the Erection Lasting More than Four Hours by John Hodgen.)

No comments: