Sunday, May 14, 2017

Exhausted eyes peering, then swiveling away

The photograph was taken on April 16th.

Yesterday I visited the Kytäjä-Usmi outdoor area in Hyvinkää, walking over four hours up and down hills. This time I explored the northeast part of the area, walking along and across river Vantaa, which is quite narrow this far north. I carried provisions with me, taking a short break for eating and drinking, so I didn't get very tired. Many places felt familiar, until I realized that I was either thinking of another part of Kytäjä-Usmi with similar characteristics, or another place altogether. I have visited Kytäjä-Usmi once or twice each year, and should remember to do it again at some point. So far I haven't seen Gavia stellata which is said to be nesting there.

(Posting title is from the poem Danger of Falling by Patricia Goedicke.)

No comments: